MEMORIES OF MY EARLY LIFE IN TREDEGAR.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Smythes

101 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  18:54:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Milkman. Yes You are correct. Eugene worked many years in the Prison Service. His last post was as a Governor at Strangeways prison in Manchester. He was in post at the time of the Prison riot. He is still living in Standish near Wigan with his wife Shirley. Eugene will be 88 in July.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1446 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  11:55:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As we celebrate the VE day anniversary I am sure that Bryan, Butch and several others were in the Circle to celebrate.
Bearing in mind that there had been no street lights since 1939 the clack, bandstand were brilliantly lit up. There were lights all along Morgan St and through to Bedwellty House.
I remember the singing iin the Circle- all those Vera songs- We'll meet again, White Cliffs- not to mention the Afrika Corps song: Lilli Marlene.
There was a hill in Burma known as Tredegar Hill where the SWBs fought the Japanese. I doubt if it is now called that
We have certainly seen a bit
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1787 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  12:12:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not only was I there with my friends and the rest of Tredegar but what about the street parties afterwards.
It was quite a while before the troops - Army, Navy and Airforce men and women returned and when they did OH BOY !!!!!!!
In Bedwelly House there was a display of the Battle of Tredegar Hill against the Japanese. Don't know if its still there.
Gatherings around The Clock was always popular at Christmas and New Year also. It was a time we took the micky out of young policemen - until Sergeant Evans arrived and we all cowered away like terrified dogs.
As milkman has said we lived in a blacked out Tredegar and when Skewen Oil Refineries were bombed the sky was lit up with the flames and tracer bullets.
Another time Tredegar was it up was when a Plane had lost its way and circled Tredegar dropping flares for quite some time. Sadly the aircraft flew into the mountain above the Rhyd.

Edited by - Bryan Rendell on 03/05/2020 12:18:23
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1446 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  11:40:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A somewhat humorous one to wrap this up-
In June 1986 o was working with some German colleagues when one received a phone call which he took, laughing out loud.
The call was from Paris.
A friend of his working there rang to say that they had a days holiday. The French celebrate D-Day as a National holiday. So even though he was a german he had to take a days holiday.
He had found this amusing as did my German friend.
Have a good one- milkman
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  15:40:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Smythes,
Did Eugene Clarke work at the N.C.B general offices as secretary to the Group Electrical Engineer? I believe at the time he did some amateur boxing. Lost touch with him back in 1960.

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1706 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  20:36:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Milkman, I was born in July 1942, my only memory of the celebration around the clock, was when Georgetown school marched us up to to the clock when Field Marshall Montgomery, stood and thanked the people of Tredegar, and particularly the young men who sacrificed their lives to the war effort. I was stood outside the Tredegar Arms, F.M.Montgomery was facing down Morgan Street, and probably addressing the dignitaries on the balcony of the Town Hall.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1446 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  20:43:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Butch, You were lucky to have been taken to the circle to see Monty.
I was a bit older so didnt see him, but my wife did (that bit younger than me) Have a good one
Go to Top of Page

Smythes

101 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  20:57:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ike. Yes Eugene did work for the N C B in the capacity you describe and yes he was an amateur boxer. Hd and his wife Shirley left Tredegar in the late fifties. They originally moved to Swansea where they both worked in the Prescold factory. The business folded and they moved to Luton where he worked in Vauxhall factory for a few short years. He joined HM prison Service and moved to Gloucester. Must have been sometime in mid seventies was transferred north and is currently living in Standish near Wigan. I will tell Eugene that you remembered him from N C B days. Will he know you as Ike?
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
183 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2020 :  00:48:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Smythes, Glad to hear that Eugene is fit and well. He won't know me as Ike ,but Gwilym, assistant Mechanical Engineer.It is wonderful news that he's done so well.last November on a cruise I shared a table with person who had links with Strangeways prison.
Give Eugene my regards. I did think he was younger than 88.

Go to Top of Page

JulesDrup

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  18:33:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bryan
We moved to Chepstow in the winter of 1961/2 and left in February 1964. Other people I remember on Western Avenue were Nigel Williams, Shona Wilson, Joan and Bill Morgan and Glyndwr and Maureen (Cant remember the surname). The last two couples were also from Tredegar. The Alexander family lived next door to us and unfortunately Mr. Alexander passed away at a very young age.
I went to the infant school and at 7 went to the 'black and white school', which is what they called the juniors. When any of us were going to Tredegar to visit we used to say we were going home. Something I still say to this day.
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

253 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  20:58:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also spent some time staying with relatives in Western Avenue between 1962/64. When as an apprentice in the training laboratory at Llanwern steelworks, I found it easier to travel in from Chepstow than from Tredegar.
Some names which spring to mind from my time there were a lovely looking girl named Donna Cobberly and a chap called Ricky Pepper.
I also recall the "Leeming brothers" Robin and Ken.
The highlight of the week was to go down the town on a Saturday evening dancing to the sounds of a group called the "Perfectionaires" playing Beatles songs.Great times.
Go to Top of Page

theclock
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2020 :  11:06:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lead singer with the Perfectinaires was Bryn Yemm they supported Jimmy Justice in Beaufort Ballroom mid-sixties.
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

253 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2020 :  11:47:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you (theclock) for that interesting piece of information about the "Perfectionaires". I was not aware at the time it was Bryn Yemm from Abergavenny, who of course was destined to become well known as a performer throughout Wales and an ambassador for our country.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily
Advanced Member

728 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2020 :  12:45:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was there a band called Phyllis and the Cherokees heard someone mentioning this name a long time back if I remember correctly.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1446 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2020 :  19:20:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only showing off I know!!!
I was at a Hunt Ball in the St Pierre near Chepstow.
There was a band witha lead singer who somehow seemed familiar.
I happened to be dancing with my wife and mentioned this to her.
Then, of a sudden, it came back to me - It was a fredegar chap whose nickname at school was "Bonehead".
I said this to her and she immediately recalled him.
We went and spoke to him in the interval. I think his name was actually Jones and he lived jus below the COOP at south end of tip.
He was avery good singer. Wonder is he still around
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

601 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2020 :  21:09:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Bilbaily Phylis and the Cherokees were a well know Valleys group in the 60s 70s.I can remember Saturday nights in the Ironsides Club dancing to them.Always remember them playing running bear and after a few snowballs would be doing all the sounds and actions to this song.o to be 18 again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.